+49 711 685 66388
|March 15, 1966||born in Stuttgart|
|1991||Graduation in Mechanical Engineering (Dipl.-Ing.), University of Stuttgart|
|1991 - 2000||Fully Funded Research Associate at the Institute B of Mechanics,University of Stuttgart (since 1996 C1-level corresponding to Assistant Professor)|
|1995||Visiting Scientist at the Mathematics and Computer Science Department, Argonne National Laboratory, USA|
|January 1996||Doctoral Degree (Dr.-Ing.), University of Stuttgart, thesis about ‘Optimization of Multibody Systems’|
|1996 - 1997||Visiting Scientist at the University of California, UC Berkeley, USA|
|January 2000||Habilitation Degree (Dr.-Ing. habil.), University of Stuttgart, thesis about ‘Contact Investigations using Hybrid Multibody/Finite Element Simulations’|
|2000 - 2002||Full Professor (C3) of Mechanics and System Dynamics at the Institute of Applied Mechanics at the Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nuremberg|
|since 2002||Director and Full Professor (C4, W3) at the Institute of Engineering and Computational Mechanics (until 2005: Institute B of Mechanics), University of Stuttgart|
|since 2012||Treasurer, Member of the Bureau, General Assembly Member of IUTAM|
|2006 - 2012||elected German representative in the General Assembly|
|2010 - 2018||Member of the Congress Committee|
|2008, 2012||Member of the Int. Paper Committee for the ICTAMs in Adelaide and Beijing|
|since 2014||Representative of IMSD in IUTAM|
|2016||Book IUTAM - A Short History (with Juhasz, S. Eds.). Doordrecht: Springer, 2016. Open Access link.|
|2016||Chair of the Nominations Subcommittee for the CC|
|2018||Member of the Nominations Subcommittee for the CC|
|2006||organization of IUTAM Symposium: Multiscale Problems in Multibody System Contacts in Stuttgart|
|2012||organization of IMSD Conference 2012 International Conference on Multibody System Dynamics in Stuttgart (endorsed by IUTAM)|
with my team of currently about 35 researchers (plus MSc/BSc-students) we do research in
- multibody systems (e.g. vibrations, model order reduction, sub-structured systems, recognizing damage by machine learning, vibrations in paintings and music instruments, simulation of flexible gear drives, vibrations in brake systems for cars, simulation of optical-mechanical systems with deformable lenses and mirrors, delay- differential equations for metal cutting, flexibility in steering systems, experimental modal analysis, ...)
- mechatronics and control (e.g. simulation and control of magnetically levitating trains (currently our largest funded project together with CRRC Sifang in China), model predictive control, force control, safety systems for cars and motorbikes, control of uncertain systems, inverse uncertainty, control with guarantees based on Gaussian processes, driving simulator with a 6dof platform, ...)
- optimization (e.g. particle swarm optimization, distributed and decentralized optimization, robot swarms driven by optimization algorithms, ...)
- robotics (e.g. serial and parallel robots, flexible and rigid robots, swarm robotics, localization of driving and flying robots, interaction between robots, autonomous and self-organizing swarms, force-controlled manipulators, ...)
- biomechanics (e.g. mechanics of hearing, implants and prostheses, ...) meshless and particle methods (e.g. discrete element method, smoothed particle hydrodynamics, particle dampers, friction stir welding, laser welding, deep hole drilling, fluid structure interaction between fluids, particles and elastic structures, ...)
In most of these areas we have a mix of basic research, applied research, industrial research and use analytical methods, simulations and hardware experiments. Algorithms and methods are developed and implemented in software which is often also commercially used by companies or used by other research institutes worldwide.
|since 2016||Coordinator Priority Programme SPP1897 ‘Calm, Smooth, and Smart – Novel Approaches for Influencing Vibrations by Means of Deliberately Introduced Dissipation’ funded by the German Research Foundation|
|2012 - 2014||Chairman of DEKOMECH (Deutsches Komitee für Mechanik)|
|2014 - 2016||Vice-Chairman of DEKOMECH (Deutsches Komitee für Mechanik)|
|2012 - 2014||Chairman of IMSD (Int. Association of Multibody System Dynamics)|
|2014 - 2016||Vice-Chairman of IMSD (Int. Association of Multibody System Dynamics)|
|2010 - 2016||Member of the Board (Vorstandsrat) of the GAMM (Society of Applied Mathematics and Mechanics)|
|since 2019||elected Member of the Senate of the University of Stuttgart|
|since 2014||Member of the University Committee for Scientific Misconduct at the University of Stuttgart|
|since 2011||Member of the Senate Committee for Research/Structure at the University of Stuttgart|
|2010 - 2016||Chairman of the Doctoral Examination Committee of the Mechanical Engineering Department of the University of Stuttgart|
|since 2007||Founding Member of the Stuttgart Research Centre "Simulation Technology (SimTech)" (Exzellenzcluster SimTech)|
|since 2005||Guest Member and former elected member of the ASME Technical Committee on Multibody Systems and Nonlinear Dynamics|
|2002 - 2006||Dean of Studies ''Mechatronics'|
Member of GAMM, EUROMECH, IMSD, ISSMO (Int. Society of Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization)
- Co-Editor "Lecture Notes Applied and Computational Mechanics", Springer book series
- Associate Editor of the journal ' Mechanics Research Communications'
- Associate Editor of the journal 'Archive of Mechanical Engineering'
- former Associate Editor of the "European Journal of Mechanics A/Solids"
- former Contributing Editor of the "International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics"
- Member of the Editorial Board “Computational Particle Mechanics”
- Member of the Editorial Board "Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization"
- Member of the Advisory Board "Multibody System Dynamics"
- Member of the Editorial Board "Advances in Applied Mechanics"
- Member of the Editorial Board "ZAMM"
- former Member of the Editorial Board "Acta Mechanica Sinica"
- Member of the Editorial Board "International Journal of Applied Mathematics and Mechanics (IJAMM)"
- Member of the Editorial Board "Lecture Notes in Applied Mathematics und Mechanics"
- Chairman: EUROMECH Colloquium 442 Computer-Aided-Optimization of Mechanical Systems, 2003
- Chairman: IUTAM Symposium: Multiscale Problems in Multibody System Contacts, 2006
- Chairman: IMSD Conference 2012 International Conference on Multibody System Dynamics
|2000||Richard-von-Mises Award GAMM (Ges. für Ang. Mathematik und Mechanik)|
|2002||Offer of a Full Professorship (C4) at the University of Karlsruhe|
|2002||Offer of a Full Professorship (C4) at the University of Stuttgart|
|2011||Offer of a Full Professorship (W3) at the Technical University of Munich|
|Nov. 2007||Honorary Professorship from the Nanjing University of Science and Technology, Nanjing, PR China|
|since 2010||Guest Professor Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, PR China|
For a complete List see Publications.
- founder of the ‘Competence Center for Laser-Doppler- Vibrometry in Biomechanics’ 2013
- about 57 completed supervised doctoral theses (about 30 more are already admitted by the Department of Mechanical Engineering but not yet finished)
- more than 530 supervised student theses in mechanics since Oct 2002
- reviews for about 70 different journals as well as many scientific organizations, universities and companies
- fully funded projects with about 60 different companies in Germany, China, Norway, Switzerland and Japan